Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Leroy Weekend Times - Feb 5

The New Generation in a Flat World

Reading through Friedman’s The World is Flat has been an interesting look at today’s world from an outside perspective, that is, from someone who had to go through all the recent changes instead of being born into them. For example, Friedman finds it incredible that a businessman can use the internet to find answers, videoconferencing to talk to others around the world, or other mobile tools for collaboration. Well… duh? How did they ever get by otherwise? In some ways, my generation is kind of like China or other developing nations in that we don’t have to change our infrastructure. We, like China, never installed landlines. We started with cell phones instead and never looked back.

While that is certainly a good thing from my perspective, there’s plenty of new worry to go around as well. First of all, it’s important to question whether or not the school system I went through has adequately adapted to all of this. Are graduating students today prepared to work in a flat world, or does the system still produce students for the old-school workforce? Second, how can American students who want to earn an American wage compete with the incredible mass of newly trained knowledge workers in the developing world who can do the job for ‘the Walmart price’? I kept waiting and waiting for Friedman to tell me what I need to change or adapt in order to play by the new rules.

Instead, I have to figure that out on my own. At least Friedman is optimistic that all of these new rules will benefit the majority of the people; that the rising tide of educated workers and higher standards of living in other countries ‘creates more room at the top, not less’. The critically important thing, therefore, is to make absolutely sure to catch the wave instead of getting run over or left behind. I see two keys to making that happen: global fluency, and the ability to be creative in a collaborative or group setting.

Friedman emphasizes that the flattening of the workforce fundamentally means a change to a horizontal or collaborative style of work where the individual is greatly empowered. It’s like the shift in computing from giant central mainframes to a decentralized structure where ‘the network is the computer’. Rather than having towering corporate structures dictate what, when, and where, corporations will be made up of a widespread network of groups and individuals who collectively control the company. To succeed in that environment, the individual has to be able to bridge national and cultural borders. People will need to expand their own world to include more than just their home city, state, or country.

In today’s business, outsourcing has grown from base manufacturing to include many services and high end manufacturing as well. Unless you’re willing to work for pocket change in the developing world, workers need to have mobile skills that can’t be sourced, like creativity, research, and open-ended analytical skills. And with the spread of technology, those skills will be best put to use in collaborative settings with diverse groups. Combining those skills, I believe those who can network effectively across boundaries will find themselves on top of the wave and on top of the new flat world. That’s not an easy thing to learn, but probably worth the while.

G is for Gringo, aka Never Let an American Order the Beer

That place looks alright to me, yeah? Alright, we can relax there until the other guys come. Well, lets go then, we look ridiculous standing in the middle of the street here. Fine. Do you guys have ID? Uhhh… Wait, since when did they ask for ID? This is South America! Besides, can’t you go to a bar and get a Coke, seriously? Well, does anybody have a drivers license or something? Really, nobody? We’re blockin the entrance here, lets move. Whatever, just go ahead in. Alright cool. Gra-ci-as.

There’s no seats here. Look, the only table has two seats. Do you want to go somewhere else? The dude just let us in. Guys, we’re still blocking the entrance here. Well what do you suggest? I dunno. We look ridiculous. No, you look ridiculous. Seriously? Here, those guys are leaving, lets take that table. Alright cool. We’re short one seat. Somebody ask that table if we can take that extra seat. Go ahead. I don’t speak any Spanish! Yo no ha-blo espanyol. Well who speaks good Spanish here? Whatever, I’ll go. They don’t understand a word she’s saying do they. Nope. Nada. Crap! Guys the whole place is starin at us right now. Somebody go get some beer. Here, let me do it.

Those bottles are huge. Well yeah, that’s what it is here. Wait, what? These two are fine. Is it any good? I got some pisco too, I wanted to try it. I hear pisco sour is good. Yeah, I ordered two of those. Uh, wait, why are they bringing us more beer? Hold on, let me go ask. Are you sure? Yeah, I got it. I want a picture! No, no, no, next time were here maybe, but not now. No, this will be quick. Un, dos, tres… queso! It’s whiskey. You don’t smile when you say queso. Ok put the camera away. More beer! What? I told them we only wanted two! Really? This is what, six liters of beer? Well what do you want me to do, huh? Here comes the bartender and waiter. They’re laughing at us. What?

Guys, there’s a reason they call you gringos! Yeah, I suppose so. Mas cerveza!

Who knew?

I had an assignment for my Culture and Conversation class this week called Identifying Stereotypes. We were supposed to ask our host family and local friends what they thought of Peruvians, Bolivians, Argentinians, and other Chileans. I couldn’t believe the results. Apparently, back in the 1870s, there was a war between Chile and (Peru and Bolivia), and people are still really torqued off about it. They called Peruvians every name under the sun. People said Peruvians say the same about Chile. If a Chilean were in Peru, apparently they would hide their accent and say they were Argentinian instead. Bolivians weren’t as bad, because they are ‘lazy and don’t care what happens’. Finally, Argentinians are ‘just plain arrogant’. So much for political correctness.

Most of the Chileans surveyed were pretty proud of themselves and had lots of good things to say about other Chileans. But later, in class, we read the results of an extensive survey on Chile which said that, like Argentina, Chile as a country is very insecure about itself underneath the pride. Maybe we can set up a heart to heart amongst southern South American countries, then go out for coffee afterwards?

Strange, strange stuff.

Editor’s note: I’m transfixed by what’s going on in Egypt right now. I don’t know why, but I’ve never been so interested in a faraway event. I sat on my computer for hours as it broke out, watching blog posts and live news and twitters. I feel like something really transformational is underway, potentially for the whole Middle East. I could be wrong. Regardless, I tried to write about it, and flopped. I don’t know what to say about the whole thing, except that I really hope this turns out in the best way. By the way, if you want (truly) unbiased, fantastic coverage of the events, don’t go to CNN or Fox or whatever. Go to Al-Jazeera English. You’ll be surprised.

- LWT -

No comments:

Post a Comment