Thursday, January 6, 2011

5 - Onwards and Upwards

The morning clouds cleared themselves up as usual, so we took a walk down to the famous Recoleta cemetery. All of the most famous and influential Argentines are buried there, usually with huge marble edifices or statues, and you would think it would be an interesting place to walk around. Instead, it just gave me the creeps. Many of the tombs have been robbed at some point, and for some unbelievable reason or another they never get fixed up. The cemetery is a city-like maze of granite and marble with rusted ad bent iron doors, broken glass and trash, and smashed caskets. Yikes.

We headed back a bit early to watch some Premier league instead. I packed up my stuff, checked out of the hostel and eventually headed over to the bus station. I figured if I get there 30 minutes early, I´ll have plenty of time and won´t have to rush. 28 minutes later, here I am running around like a moron still trying to figure out where I have to be. Turns out the big bold number on your ticket isn´t your gate, the big red company logo isn´t the bus you´re taking, and nobody working at the station has a clue either. After running through gates and checking endlessly, one of the far buses flicked on a sign that said Mendoza and saved my butt from an impending logistical mess. The bus ride was really nice after that, and Thursday morning we pulled in.

Mendoza is one of the nicest cities to walk around in. There are plenty of parks, pedestrian streets and a sprawling cafe district. On the horizon you can see the Andes rising up from the plains, and as promised, an expanse of vineyards. The hostel has a giant weekly calendar of activities ranging from mountain biking to high-Andes treks to cooking classes and a free hostel barbecue night. I might end up spending a few more nights here than planned.

Quote of the day: ´What kind of waiter tells you how much he wants for a tip? Oh well, we suck at math.´

1 comment: