Sunday, January 16, 2011

9 - Journey On

Sorry for lack of posts recently, I’ve been running around quite a bit. On Thursday I met up with two Aussies and an Israeli and went ziplining, which was fun but not as exciting as it could have been given all the mountains around Bariloche. We went rafting on Friday (much more fun), had some all you can eat barbecue, played volleyball, then later on destroyed the competition at pool. Good couple of days, all in all.

I left Bariloche Saturday morning on a 30 hour bus to El Calafate, Argentina’s biggest tourist draw outside of Buenos Aires. It’s famous for a nearby glacial mass of the same name, plus some tall mountains and Lake Argentina. The weather down here is a little more my style, cool and breezy. The sun only sets for a few brief hours at midnight. My hostel here turned out to be a real hippie joint, but is actually the fanciest place thus far.

I have less than two weeks left and a lot of ground to cover, so I’m only staying here long enough to see the dang thing and move on. I’ll go to Ushuaia for a couple of days, then over to Puerto Natales in Chile to see the Torres del Paine and Patagonia National Park. I could either take my time with all of this and then fly to Santiago, or take a bus and get to spend a few days in Valdivia Chile as well. I’ll probably end up flying, because all of this busing around really wipes you out! I’ll try to keep up with posts and pictures a little better here as well.

Quote of the Day: ‘I knew this kid for what, like an hour, and he’s already throwing rocks at me while I’m trying to take a leak!’

No comments:

Post a Comment